Monday, January 16, 2017

January flowers

No, I have not seen any daffodils peeking through the snowdrifts of Mount Dunbar yet, but I did spot my first witch hazel out in full glorious scented bloom today. Apparently, our unusually cold temperatures haven't discouraged this hardy bloomer. The other flowers are indoor ones. Our Sunday lunch guests Janice and Jim brought me a beautiful orchid along with a couple of stems of fuzzy grey pussy-willows to dress up my window sill. The poinsettia and Christmas bouquet are leftovers from December, but I'll keep them until they fade out. At this time of year, we need all the colour we can get.

Orchid, with pussy-willows and  greenery. I was delighted to discover the orchid has a lovely scent. I don't think I've ever had a perfumed orchid before. 

Witch hazel in blossom, with snow-covered garden behind. You can't see it in this picture, but the tree still has Christmas lights on it. 

My Christmas flowers. The poinsettia is still going strong, but the other bouquet has lost a few blooms since this photo was taken.  

1 comment:

  1. Amazing plant that witch hazel! I think we shall soon see things popping out of the ground. I will expect photos!

    ReplyDelete