Thursday, February 2, 2017

Sights

Today, a crocus. A few days ago, a flash of blue in a garden turned out to be two ornamental peacocks. A week or so ago, John and I crossed the Burrard Bridge together and noticed the new lights being installed there. When you walk around the city, there's always something new to see.

John's photo of one of the new ornamental lights being installed on the Burrard Bridge as part of its reconstruction.  

Big tree, little tree, big tree...This unusual hedge drew my attention, and John photographed it for me during a recent walk.
There are probably lots of crocuses out in sunny areas of the city now, but this is the first I've seen in bloom this year. It's in an untended area, in the midst of winter detritus and other plants.

Not far from the crocus was this yellow bloom, whose name, I'm afraid, I don't know. From the leaves, maybe some kind of anemone?

Also on Thursday, I saw the start of the batches of snowdrops that will soon decorate better-organized gardens.

A few days ago, a flash of blue caught my eye, and it turned out to be elaborate peacocks in a front garden. Nothing to do with Christmas decorations, and a strange choice for mid-winter, but maybe somebody just wanted some colour.

A closer look at the peacocks.

West Vancouver is separating pedestrians and bikes with this series of planter boxes along a street by the water. They don't look like much now, but in the summer they will probably be beautiful.

Sticking out of the corner of each box is something I've never seen before -- it looks like a watering tube of some sort. 

And I keep coming across more of those Little Library boxes, this one set on a stump in West Vancouver, just across  from a school. It's a classy model, with  a sloped roof, pretty glass doors and a "welcome" sign at the base. John photographed me inspecting it. 

1 comment:

  1. Love the Burrard Bridge photo. Maybe these cool lamps will make up a bit for 18 months of construction...
    What a neat idea to have the peacocks to add colour in winter. And it is such fun to find these Little Libraries.

    ReplyDelete